Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Twenty-seventh New Thing - Participation

Although it has been five years since I donated my kidney to my husband, I've agreed to participate in a study for living donors at the Cleveland Institute. I had the pure joy of meeting the nephrologist in charge of the study, Dr. Merriam Weiss. She was an absolute compassionate and highly intelligent woman. I suppose all doctors are:) Through our discussion I certainly learned a great deal about myself that I had kept well-hidden for years. I always thought centering on my memories would bring undeniable pain to me - that seemed to be my track record. I was pleasantly surprised at what I confided in her and how painless the process of reflecting on that walk with my husband was now. I know my grief of losing him is still so great. I also know that I won't ever really be okay, but I can and have learned to adapt and adjust to a new life without him. Thank you Dr. Merriam for your enlightenment and continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment